Yay! At last it's here and completely FREE!
The definitive checklist for developing a stunning classroom library.
- Are you looking to improve your students' reading achievement?
- Do you wonder whether you are being effective for all students?
- Classroom Libraries are a great way to start achieving this easily!
Beginning steps . . .
- Create a dedicated and inviting space
- Organise for books to be displayed in inviting ways: with covers facing out, sorted into categories/themes/genres in labelled baskets, on book shelves
- Secure a budget to buy books for your classroom library
- Have your students choose books from the school library to add to the classroom library
- Involve your students in curating, organising, sorting, maintaining, growing and managing their Library
- Keep a wish list of books students would like in their library to ensure they see themselves represented in this place
- Organise for each student to have a personal Book Box/Bag/Wallet to store books borrowed from the classroom library so that they can continue to read the books daily during Independent Reading and Home reading.
More support . . .
- See the South Australian Department for Education 'Building Foundations' guidebook, page 9 on the importance of establishing Classroom Libraries
- See the Classroom Library checklist free on Teachific (by Diane Snowball and Faye Bolton)
- See the video of Giselle and her Year 6/7 students celebrating the growth of their Classroom Library
- Next time - 'How to Use a Classroom Library Effectively'
Classic classroom library quotes by students
There’s nothing quite like getting inside the head of a reader! Enjoy some inspiration from people who love to read. This is one in a collection of quotes about reading.
Find out what a difference it makes to have someone who, or something that inspires you to read. These quotes may have a place in your own classroom library, and may prompt the voices of your own readers. Inspire someone today!