About this teaching resource
Are you looking to better understand how to teach for deeper comprehension?
Diane Snowball’s Comprehension Overview will help you build a deep knowledge of the purpose, the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ of teaching effective comprehension strategies to support students in becoming independent readers who read for meaning.
- What is comprehension?
- Comprehension strategies
- The influence of readers, text, sociocultural context and teachers
- Comprehension instruction
- Teaching comprehension at different grade levels
- Integrating strategies
- The importance of dialogue
- Decoding, vocabulary, fluency and word knowledge
Want to count your professional reading towards professional learning hours? We know Di’s professional readings are actionable, so we’ve included a Reflections and Actions prompt sheet.
- Diane Snowball is a Victorian educator with teaching experience that has ranged from prep through university levels over the past 50 years. Her experience includes both teaching and administrative roles in secondary and primary schools, but the majority of her time has been devoted to the provision of professional learning for teachers and those involved in all levels of school leadership, with a focus on improving students’ literacy.
Diane is a past president of the Australian Literacy Educators Association and has presented at many conferences in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Asia and the USA. She has written several books and articles about literacy teaching and has produced many videos, DVDs and CD-ROMs demonstrating the most effective teaching practices. In 1992 Diane was invited to provide professional learning for teachers and administrators at schools across New York City and in several other parts of the US, which she did for 16 years.
Diane’s main focus these days is on ways to provide the most effective professional development for Victorian educators so that all students have the best opportunities for achieving their potential and has been assisting the Western Metropolitan Region schools to meet this goal.
Diane was a presenter on ABC TV's 'Revolution School' in 2016, and she is a key advisor to schools/governments in literacy education. See her extensive range of literacy education information on the Victorian Department for Education and Training's website at:http://www.digipubs.vic.edu.au/curriculum/effective-literacy-teaching/effective-literacy-teaching
There are no reviews for this resource yet, why not write one?
Report a problem
Please log in to report a problem with this resource